Thursday, May 13, 2010

Duke Chapel Climb

In addition to winning national basketball championships and admitting rich undergrads, Duke has a tradition of letting graduating graduate and professional students climb the Duke Chapel tower. As a graduate and professional student who is graduating, I thought I should take advantage of this apparently once-in-a-lifetime opportunity (the tower is not open to the general public).

I had to wait in line for quite some time. They only let about 20 students in at a time, and each group took about 20-25 minutes to climb up, take photos, and climb down. Here are a few shots I took while waiting:

DSC_0373 DSC_0391

DSC_0374

They call this a “climb” for a reason—you access the top of the tower by means of a narrow, steep, poorly lit spiral stairway. Not a good place for those who tend to get claustrophobic. Here’s a shot of the stairway (taken during my descent):

DSC_0485Imagine about 10 minutes of this. As you can see, I was appropriately decked out in flip-flops and baggy jeans.

Because they were trying to shuttle people in and out as quickly as possible, I only had about 5 minutes to snap photos from the top of the tower. I must admit that I went for quantity rather than quality—I just took as many photos as possible before being ushered back down the stairs. Fortunately, I walked away with a few photos that (with some editing) were halfway presentable. Here’s a handful:

DSC_0396 Looking north, toward the Perkins/Bostock libraries and the medical buildings.

DSC_0414 The roof of the divinity school and part of Perkins.

DSC_0417Divinity school, Perkins, etc.

DSC_0434

Looking east, toward the entrance to the university (with downtown Durham off in the distance).

DSC_0425  As you can see, there was quite a line.

Towerfront_editHere’s a nice vertical panoramic for ya.

Front_pano_edit

And another panoramic (click to enlarge).

DSC_0448 Facing south.

DSC_0477 DSC_0472

Some girl with the Duke statue.

Backside_edit The backside (i.e., the chapel itself).

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! So pretty... I wish we could have visited you guys while you lived there. But now, we will get to live closer. Can't wait to see you and Nicole!

    ReplyDelete